Members of Tbilisi City Assembly today selected Giorgi Tkemaladze to lead the representative institution of the capital city of Georgia.
According to the Assembly’s press service, 40 members of Tbilisi City Assembly out of 50 supported Tkemaladze’s candidacy.
During the October 2017 local self-government elections, the Georgian Dream presented Giorgi Tkemaladze as the majoritarian candidate for Tbilisi’s Samgori district. After winning, Tkemaladze was elected to be in charge of the 6th convocation of Tbilisi City Assembly as its Chairman.
A few facts about the new Chairman of Tbilisi City Assembly, based on information shared by the press service of Tbilisi City Assembly:
- Since 2007 Tkemaladze has been a member of three convocations of Tbilisi City Assembly.
- In 2007-2012 he was the chairman of a temporary commision on cooperation with foreign city assemblies, as well as the commission for urban planning and Old Tbilisi reconstruction. Both commissions were created within Tbilisi City Assembly.
- In 2012-2014, he was appointed as the Deputy Chairman of Tbilisi City Assembly.
- During the 5th convocation of Tbilisi City Assembly. Tkemaladze was selected as the first deputy chairman of Tbilisi City Assembly.
- Since 2010 he is the Vice President of the National Association of Local Self-Governments and a member of the Congress on Regional Self-Governments.