444,241 visitors entered in Georgia in January 2018, which is a 14.8% increase from the same period last year. Most of the visitors came from Azerbaijan (increase of 0.8%), Turkey (increase of 20.1%), Armenia (increase of 20.9%), Russia (increase of 14.6%) and Iran (increase of 92.4%).
If the rate of visitors remains the same throughout the year, Georgia will have 8 million visitors in 2018.
Number of visitors by country in January 2018:
- Azerbaijan - 116,503 visitors, 0.8% increase y/y
- Turkey - 94,959 visitors, 20% increase y/y
- Armenia - 93,711 visitors, 21% increase y/y
- Russia - 71,141 visitors, 14.6% increase y/y
- Iran - 15,570 visitors, 92% increase y/y
- Ukraine - 10,497 visitors, 2% increase y/y
- India - 3,792 visitors, 47% increase y/y
- Israel - 3,006 visitors, 76% y/y
- Kazakhstan - 2,447 visitors, 7.7% increase y/y
- The Philippines - 2,379 visitors, 19% increase y/y.
How many of the visitors were tourists?
189,000 of the visitors in January 2018 remained in Georgia for more than 24 hours, which is 23% more compared to the same period of 2017. Those who remain in country for more than 24 hours and use the service sector (restaurants, hotels, and etc.) are considered as tourists.
Tourism statistics in 2017
The overall income from tourism in 2017 amounted to 2,750,000,000 USD, whereas in 2016 the same indicator was 2,166,000,000 USD.
The biggest income from tourism last year was in August 2017, with 395 million USD, whereas the lowest was in February 2017, with 127 million USD. The average sum that tourists spent in Georgia in 2017 is 790 USD.